Sunday, March 13, 2011

Feel It

Sometimes I feel too much.  When it is other people’s happiness that I feel, it is wonderful.  When it is their pain, it is not.  I tend to be one of those weight-of-the-world-on-her-shoulders kinds of girls, and every now and then things get too heavy to hold on my own.  While I would hate to be a person who does not feel anything at all, there are times when things are too much to handle and I just do not feel like feeling it. 

If I find out a friend is pregnant, I cry with joy for the life they are bringing into the world and the love that they will get to experience as a parent.  When someone shares their pride in their child or the promotion they got at work, I am happy right along with them.  Even their smallest happiness can become my own because I want my friends to be happy.  I genuinely share their joy. 

But when I hear that a friend has lost a loved one, even someone I have never met, I cry for their loss.  I have been lucky enough in my life (knock on wood) to have been to very few funerals, but when I have attended final farewells, I am the one who should be folding up paper to shove in the Wailing Wall a la The Secret Life of Bees.  I cry for the life lost, for those who lost them and, if the person was someone I loved, for the hole that will be left in my life. 

Yet, it goes even beyond that.  If a child is missing, I silently pray for them and their parents.  If an ambulance passes me in traffic, I wish with sad hope that the person it is meant for will make it through.  And, God forbid, if a natural disaster should strike, as I imagine the pain of the lost and the families they have left behind…and I feel it. 

Amazingly, when I worked with people who had truly suffered and they told me their stories, I never cried.  Not once.  Their tears poured like an avalanche and I felt it like a boulder on my chest, but I never cried.  I did not cry because I knew that it was my job to be strong for them, no matter what horrific story they shared.  I was somehow able to do that.  But I did cry privately when I knew that it was the last time I would see them, no matter what hell they had put me through on the job. 

I have held friends and family members in my arms whose bodies shook because of their pain, and I offered comfort and love without adding my own tears.  I have done it.  I can block out and cope with things.  Sometimes I am surprised I can cope with all of the feelings.    

At times, I feel too much.

I would rather feel it all than not feel anything at all. 

2 comments:

Ivan D said...

Hi Alicia!
You've left me with joy and wonder again!
People who feel nothing? I doubt they truly exist. I'll bet they are just real good at masking their emotions. To bad for them, they may miss out on the true joys that are possible after feeling the pain...

I've never really give it a thought, or I don't think I have... : )
But yes, when others share with us their joy, we feel joy! When others feel sorrow we tend to feel sorrow, but the big wonder?
How is it that without even a thought, when others are in desperation over sadness, loss or tragedy, we can be so strong for them when they need our strength most, then hurt for them in the silence of our own solitude...
Yet isn't it good that we feel for others. How else would we feel the need to reach out and help...
And if we don't live to help others, what is the point in our living!

Thank you for sharing something so profound as this wonderful roller coaster ride that incites the mind to ponder!

Heather said...

I'm w/ ya girl!! I do the same thing. And I think way too much about stuff! That's why I gotta stay busy! And why I can't watch true story movies/shows about horrible things cuz then I can't stop thinking abut em. Thanks for sharing.

Heather
www.realhousewifega.com
www.thegiftcloset.blogspot.com