Thursday, March 31, 2011

One Life

Losing someone tends to make us consider our own mortality and that of those we love.  Such thoughts often lead to depressed thoughts and wondering what happens next.  Why are we here?  What are we meant to do?  Is there just one life? 

Some of us have faith that there is something great beyond the here and now, whether in our futures on earth or somewhere beyond.  There are those who believe that this existence is just a stepping stone into some nirvana or even into another life.  Some of us believe that this is it, that this one life is all we get. 

I am a skeptic by nature.  I tend to overanalyze instead of accepting the face value of anything.  Philosophy and science are serious business to someone who wants to know all the answers.  I not only want the answers, I want proof.  I want to know that there is a reason for our existence.  But sometimes the answers are not available.  Not having an answer is difficult for someone like me to take for an answer.  I am going to assume that the reason is somehow within ourselves, and that we are responsible for creating our own answers to the why of our existence. 

The only real conclusion that I have come to so far is that we should live like this is it.  We should all live like this is the only chance we will ever have to do it right. This one life should be spent doing whatever it is that makes us fulfilled and happy. 

Many of us spend our lives as if we are trees firmly rooted in the ground and unable to bend.  While it is comforting to keep things the same and experience the seasons in a way that is expected and serene, sometimes we should branch out a little bit.  After all, we only get so many seasons, and if we never move outside our boundaries, we can only experience what comes to us. 

We should never wait for what happens next.  We should decide exactly what we want and move toward it.  I believe that life is meant to be lived and that we are meant to create our own meaning.    

I need to do what I love, live where I love to be, and surround myself with other people who really want to live. 

If we only get one life, I want to really, truly live it.    


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Simply awesome!!

Ivan D said...

I knew I liked you. And now, with this view deep into the mind, I see I was right.
You've got it Alicia!
Live each day as if it were the last. Take everything you have learned and help others with it. Help them to see, help them to be happy, help them to avoid the really bad pitfalls of life by planting a seed of hope.
Leave you behind in the minds of all you know and touch, can you then cease to exist...