Sunday, May 15, 2011

So Vain

A while ago I asked my friends if they would consider altering their appearances to look better, even if it meant that the procedure to do so could be costly or dangerous.  The funny thing is that most of the women answered that they would, and all of the men replied that they would never have cosmetic surgery.  Women are generally not more conceited than men are, so why would we risk potential harm in order to look better?

The answer is pretty simple.  In our society, women are supposed to look young and pretty.  We are supposed to be thin but curvy and have perfect skin and hair.  No man would want an old, fat, wrinkly woman, right?  Sure, we want to be attractive and feminine and look our best so that men will pay attention.  Really though, it is not even about the men.  It is about the other women. 

Women are so incredibly judgmental of other women.  Sure, we can try to blame the media for forcing impossible standards of beauty upon us.  Yes, we can blame men for wanting what they see on television instead of the beautiful women they are actually lucky enough to be with.  But women are the ones who make women feel bad about themselves. 

Women constantly compare themselves to one another.  I’m not as big as she is.  I wish my breasts could be that nice.  Her butt is too flat.  I can see her cellulite.  She is too skinny.  Her hair is bad.  She dresses like a slut.  She dresses like a slob.  It goes on and on.  And women are aware that other women are doing this to them. 

The reason women care so much about how other women look is because we are all at least a little bit insecure.  Many of us are much more than a just a little insecure.  No one is perfect, and the ones who look perfect have issues just like everyone else does. 

It is not about being catty or vain, it's about how we feel about ourselves. 

If we could just decide to find the beauty in everyone we meet we would all be a lot less ugly. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly. We're all insecure, which is sad. I wish I had 1/10 the confidence that every single man I know possesses.

Until then, I do my best and listen to Pink's "F****n Perfect"

~Genevieve

ZaynahBaker said...

It's hard to find someone who makes us feel perfect. My boyfriend tells me that I'm perfect to him and he's the only one I have to impress. But what he doesn't get is I want to impress myself, and my reflection. I don't know if it's a girl thing in general, or maybe I have serious body image issues. But I really hope one day everyone will get how we make other people feel, and how we make ourselves feel. I wish I was perfect, but I'm pretty sure that if I was, I'd still find an issue somewhere in myself.
~ZaynahB<3