Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What Peace

The terrorist is dead.  For some, this seems to be a reason for celebration, an eye for thousands of eyes.  Justice.  This is closure for the families who lost their loved ones. 

When the towers came down, I cried.  At the time, I knew no one there, no one on any of those planes, or in any of those buildings, and I knew none of their families or friends.  I cried for the loss of the innocent.  I cried because none of the victims deserved to die.   I cried for the human capacity of depravity and hatred.  That people could be so filled with hate, so full of anger toward fellow human beings who meant them no harm; the very idea makes me ill to this day. 

Our military personnel risked their lives to deliver justice to the American people and their bravery is absolutely commendable.  Thousands of families were left weeping as their loved ones have been shipped overseas for years to protect our freedom.  So many lives have been destroyed for the greater good. 

Yet now, when one monster who orchestrated the massacre is brought down, some people deem this a cause for rejoicing. 

All I feel is sadness and fear. 

I am saddened that many Americans are using a terrorist’s death as a reason to argue and carry forth more hatred toward one another because it did not happen fast enough or under the right leadership or whatever it is that can possibly be argued here.  I am sad that some are sharing their wishes that they had “burned him alive” or “cut him to pieces first”.  Some even want to see the execution themselves, either as further proof that it truly happened or as some sick way to see one more act of violence. 

I am fearful because more violence and hate will come from retaliation.  It will happen, and more innocent lives will be lost.  I am fearful that it will never end. 

Violence and hate are bred by violence and hate. 

I understand the need for redemption and justice.  Unfortunately, I found out at a young age what it feels like to have someone I love hurt and almost killed at the hands of an unseen enemy.  I understand the feelings of needed revenge because I have felt them myself.  But I cannot bring myself to condone further expressions of violence. 

What good will it bring?  What lives will we save by continuing hatred?  What peace can we experience if all we shout are cries for violence? 

What peace?


2 comments:

Ivan D said...

Thank you Alicia for letting me see I am not alone in my feelings of these celebrations. I just finished posting myself before coming to read this. You are so right, "What is Peace"?

smdowling said...

Perfectly said!!